Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

~REVIEW of Marie Sexton's PROMISES~


Promises (Coda Books, #1)
5 of 5 stars

Opening Line: " The whole thing started because of Lizzy's Jeep."

This was a quick, easy and very enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down. I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the gay-for-you romances anyway but this one was just perfect.

PROMISES is a slow burning romance but that just made it all the better because we get tons of sexual tension and character development. Watching these guys going from friends to lovers over an extended period of time felt realistic. The love scenes also seemed accurately portrayed, nothing gratuitous just for the sake of a sex scene and initially with lots of fumbling and uncertainty before they got down and went for it. I liked both Matt and Jared and really felt as if I’d gotten to know them both despite the fact that this is written exclusively form Jared’s POV, Matt is equally accessible here due to some great writing. Marie Sexton was a new author for me but I will definitely be looking for others in this series.

As I said this is told from Jared’s POV, he’s lived his whole life in a small Colorado town and while openly gay he doesn’t flaunt his status either. In fact one might say he’s even closeted refusing to become a teacher for fear of bigoted parents and jeering teens. Nope, Jared is content to while away his days in his family’s hardware store, meeting up a couple times a year with his fancy man to scratch the itch and never expecting anything to change. Well it does the day Matt Richards struts into the store. He’s just been hired by the local police department and the two strike an immediate friendship. Spending their weekend’s mountain biking, camping and watching football. Matt is straight and doesn’t care what the townsfolk are saying about them spending so much time together, he does however make a point of dating one of the towns flooziest women just to set things right.

Jared is of course in love with Matt from just about day one and wishes there could be more. On the other hand he doesn’t want to risk losing Matt’s friendship either, so he just puts all horny thoughts out of his mind (for the most part) And that’s when the sexual tension comes in; the meaningful looks, the light touches, the massages, the hand in the hair, the fact that he never wants to go home. Hmmm maybe Matt is willing to take this friendship to a whole other level?

Yeah this was super good, lots of complicated situations and interesting secondary characters and a just a great story. I was really rooting for these two because the odds were stacked against them. Funny in the end it was Jared who had the most issues with being in a committed gay relationship not his hetero partner. Bah, labels who needs them. Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. I agree this was a fantastic romance! Jared & Matt are one of my favorite couples. I need to read more by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Buggy. Not my style though...and no, not because of the gay relationship but because I like my romance with a little bit of fang or fur. BTW I was tempted to add a comment like: Only a woman can get away with writing...(I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the gay-for-you romances)...But I held back and did no such thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barksless, so fun seeing you here too! I agree, I need to read more from this author too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rohg And I knew you were going to call me out on the sucker line, I debated it myself. Thanks for restraining yourself though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Knew it....Tooo Funny.... I actually thought it was a set up and you were going to get me back...LMAO

    ReplyDelete