Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

~REVIEW of J.D Robb's NAKED IN DEATH~

~ANOTHER CONFIRMED ROARKE GROUPIE~
Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
3 of 5 stars .5

Opening Line:"She woke in the dark"

What can I say about NAKED IN DEATH that hasn’t been said already? Well obviously I don’t need to go into the plot because that’s been done to DEATH (sorry) I will say though that because so many people recommended this book to me and because my friend Lokster eventually gave me a copy I did feel somewhat obligated to read it. Robb’s 'Death' series is 30 books long now (and counting) which is somewhat daunting when starting a new series, so a part of me really didn’t want to get hooked on this and for the first hundred pages or so I can honestly say that I didn’t.

But then something happened, or I should say someone happened. Someone in the form of a charming, mysterious and utterly addictive Irish billionaire and murder suspect named Roarke. Yes, damn his sweet button carrying self but my new literary boyfriend saved this book because quite frankly detective Eve Dallas on her own isn’t very likable and I’m also not really a fan of the police procedurals. It’s the sweetness, romance, patience and delicious mystery of Roarke that will keep me coming back.


I also had a hard time understanding why Robb chose to set this in the future (sort of) I say sort of because she never went all the way with her future aspect. Sure she mentions in passing a few cool gadgets (an autochef would really come in handy) and theres flying cars, robot servants, off world business meetings and plenty of clever new cop toys but except for the legalized prostitution and gun prohibition it’s still the New York we know of today. I just feel that if Robb was going to go for the whole future angle then she should have gone all the way or just not bothered because her BladeRunneresque vision was gimmicky and rather pointless to the story. But that’s just my opinion.

Of course theres a lot to like here too; obviously Robb’s (Nora Roberts) writing is top notch and she spins a well planned, easy to read, dark mystery here. Her characters have also been completely fleshed out, in particular Eve. Who although crass, hands off and by the book has enough flaws and skeletons in the closet that you can’t help but sympathize with her and hope she loosens up a bit and lets a certain someone in. Which brings me back to Roarke. Maybe this quote describes him best, Cheers!

“You got a button fetish Roarke?”
“I’ve been carrying this around like a schoolboy carries a lock of his sweetheart’s hair.”
Her eyes came back to his, and something sweet moved through her. Sweeter yet as she could see he was embarrassed.
“That’s weird.”
“I thought so, myself.” But he slipped the button back in his pocket.
“Do you know what else I think, Eve?”
“I don’t have a clue.”
“I think I’m in love with you.” 
 

*Sigh* Yeah so I’m starting book 2 (GLORY IN DEATH) as we speak

4 comments:

  1. Great review Buggy. I really liked this one but could have done without the futuristic gimmick. So for me anyways you nailed it on the 'button'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA, Glad you agree Rohg...smart ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...it seems I pushed your button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats why I like you so much :)

    ReplyDelete