Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

~REVIEW of Laura Whitcomb's A CERTAIN SLANT OF LIGHT~


5 of 5 stars
Opening Line: "Someone was looking at me, a disturbing sensation if you're dead."

This is one of the best books that I've read in a long time. And although it's being touted as teen fiction this can absolutely be enjoyed by adults and as one I'll be recommending it to all my friends. It's just a beautiful story of fated romance no matter what your age.

 A CERTAIN SLANT OF LIGHT tells the story of a girl named Helen who's been dead for a 130 years. She is now a ghost or "light" as the author calls her existence. In order to keep from plunging into hell Helen must cling to a human host, never leaving their side. She has had many hosts over her years, her latest being Mr.Brown, an English teacher. It's in his classroom that she meets James, the first person able to see her since she died.

James was "light" until recently when he took over the body of his host during his drug overdose. Helen and James begin meeting and quickly fall in love. Eventually James convinces Helen that she should also inhabit a host so that they can both be human and together they choose Jenny. The only problem with Jenny is that her parents are religious fanatics and James's host Billy is a former drug addict with questionable friends. This makes living their hosts lives and maintaining a relationship kinda tricky.

The writing here is beautiful and the story original and interesting. The obstacles our lovers have to face as they try to find their HEA are incredible. This book had me up late at night and I will be thinking about it for a long time to come. Highly recommended for all ages. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Buggy, this seems interesting. Without spoiling it to others can you tell me why she has to go to hell? I gotta know if I'm wasting my time being Mr. Nice Guy if I'm going to plunge directly to hell when I kick the bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rohg you do always manage to give me a laugh!! I have a feeling it might be too late for you already though LOL.

    Her reasons for going to hell are a bit vague, she just "falls" when she leaves her host. She cannot remember her human life very well but has several rules to follow to re,main in the human world.

    This was a great read

    Oh and thanks for finally becoming an official follower, its nice to see your Einstein (that sounds rude) on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean my Einstein? That happens to be the most recent pic of myself. It might not be flattering but it wasn't my fault. It was taken immediately after someone ask me what I taught of Angelina Jolie.

    ReplyDelete